AI should make us better people, professionals, and organizations. However, this will not happen without a continuous focus on the responsible application of AI across all business functions.
I truly believe AI will have a disproportionate net positive impact on business and society, but it will alter career paths, displace jobs, and continually chip away at our privacy as consumers if we let it.
We have to be willing to have the hard conversations now so that we do not ruin what can be one of the most transformative technological shifts in human history.
As AI capabilities race forward, leaders must clearly define their principles, policies and procedures.
This manifesto is meant to codify responsible AI principles, and serve as an open template for other organizations and leaders who want to pilot and scale AI in an ethical way.
You ared invite you to use these principles under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license as a starting point for your own responsible AI policies and practices. This Creative Commons license lets others remix, adapt, and build upon the work, even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit the source and license their new creations under the identical terms.
You are simply asked that you do your part to ensure the responsible use of AI in your organization and industry.
Responsible AI Principles
- We believe in the responsible design, development, deployment and operation of AI technologies.
- We believe in a human-centered approach to AI that empowers and augments professionals. AI technologies should be assistive, not autonomous.
- We believe that humans remain accountable for all decisions and actions, even when assisted by AI. The human must remain in the loop in all AI applications.
- We believe in the critical role of human knowledge, experience, emotion, and imagination in creativity, and we seek to explore and promote emerging career paths and opportunities for creative professionals.
- We believe in the power of language, images and videos to educate, influence, and affect change. We commit to never knowingly use generative AI technology to deceive; to produce content for the sole benefit of financial gain; or to spread falsehoods, misinformation, disinformation, or propaganda.
- We believe in understanding the limitations and dangers of AI, and considering those factors in all of our decisions and actions.
- We believe that transparency in data collection and AI usage is essential in order to maintain the trust of our audiences and stakeholders.
- We believe in personalization without invasion of privacy, including strict adherence to data privacy laws, mitigation of privacy risks for consumers, and following our moral compass when legal precedent lags behind AI innovation.
- We believe in intelligent automation without dehumanization, and the potential of AI to have profound benefits for humanity and society.
- We believe in an open approach to sharing our AI research, knowledge, ideas, experiences, and processes in order to advance the industry and society.
- We believe in the importance of upskilling and reskilling professionals, and using AI to build more fulfilling careers and lives.
- We believe in partnering with organizations and people who share our principles.
How We Use AI Today
While we are all constantly experimenting with AI technologies to drive efficiency and performance across all business functions, our primary use cases today are in the generative AI space for marketing, specifically content creation for our blog, podcast, webinars, digital ads and long-form content (e.g. reports, blueprints).
We use a collection of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products for:
- Speech-to-text transcription
- Content summarization
- Outline generation
- Image generation
About This Document
This is v1 of our Responsible AI Manifesto for Marketing and Business. We are sharing this knowing that it will evolve.
Our hope is that it inspires other leaders and organizations to think more critically about their development and use of AI technologies, and put responsible AI principles and policies in place to guide their teams moving forward.
We welcome feedback from our community, and we will share future updates in the same open-source spirit of v1.
You can download a PDF version of this manifesto by clicking here. All parts of the manifesto can be used under the Creative Commons license below.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License and was originally authored by the Marketing AI Institute.